Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Chuck Swindoll

On Sunday I was able to see the best pastor I have ever heard before in my life, Chuck Swindoll. The former Pastor of Ev Free, Fullerton, the church I grew up in, Chuck came back for the church's 50th Anniversary to give a message that largely served as a reflection on his years at the church.

Hearing--and watching--Chuck brought a tear to my eye. I saw in that man a person who was born to preach. Undoubtedly, Chuck is a man that God called uniquely to preach His word. And there are few--I would argue none--who do it as well as Chuck.

What I admired about Chuck's preaching is that he didn't resort to gimmicks and tricks to teach the word. He didn't try for any catchy phrases or acronyms to drive home the point. Instead, he relied on the Word -- he spoke from the Word. And rather than have us fill in 15 blanks on a sheet of paper to force us to pay attention, he simply had us write four words in the margin of our Bible, and instead kept our attention the entire time with his honest preaching of the Word of God, flavored with his masterful way of bringing thoughts together.

I think the reason that it hit me the way it did is because I saw a person doing exactly what I believe I was born to do. Preach. I believe that is what God has uniquely called me for. I know there are more things to the role of a Pastor than his weekly sermon. And by God's grace I will be able to fulfill that role, as he gives me the gifts necessary. But I also know that God has already given me a unique gift. It is that gift that first drew me to the thought of the ministry, and that gift that sustains me as I think about pressing on towards that goal.

I have come to have a different attitude about my current job more over the past several months. Something changed almost instantaneously one day and I started to, in my weaker moments, even like what I'm doing. Perhaps it's that I'm more experienced. Perhaps I've had it lucky recently. Perhaps it's because I'm just phased from doing over a year of this and so I'm simply used to the lifestyle, the hours, and the unpredictability. Whatever the reason, there have been moments over the past several weeks when I've even considered doing something more in this field--and even (gasp) staying a third year.

It would probably make sense for me to work longer. Financially I would be much more stable if I worked even just one more year in this or another job. I would appease relatives and friends if I stayed and worked more. And delaying seminary school one year doesn't seem, from the outside, like that big of a deal. And considering the fact that I like it a little bit more, it would even be bearable. Perhaps even enjoyable.

But it wouldn't be fulfilling. Ultimately, there would be a longing in my heart for something more. You see, I realized on Sunday that God made me for a specific reason: he made me to preach. And it is His will for my life that I do that. And I don't think God wants us to postpone His will under any circumstances--no matter how "logical" another path might seem.

I don't know if I'll ever have a ministry as effective as Chuck's. I don't know if I will have his reach, his influence, or his skills. That is not for me to worry about (although I will from time to time). But that does not (or should not) matter. God made me to preach. When He formed me, He made me to stand in front of an audience and tell them about Jesus. I have no doubt about that. While other people my age spend their Saturday afternoons playing videogames or watching football, I spend mine crafting sermons. That's not normal. But there is nothing else I would rather do. And every morning as I ride the bus to work, I can't help but think about standing in front of a congregation, delivering a message.

I still don't know what I'm going to do next year. I'm beginning to realize that there is a right path and not-so-right path. There is what I'm supposed to do, and what I could do and still be OK. I was made to preach. But I can build financial models. I can do both pretty well. But one thing is what I was born to do. The other is what I've picked up over the years.

Father, give me the strength, the wisdom, and the courage to do what you built me to do. Like Chuck, Father, help me to preach...

No comments: